Download Duplicati 1.3 for Windows
by Irina Craciun
on Apr 27, 2012
Duplicati is inspired by another backup application, namely Duplicity and implements in C# an important part of its code. It has both a graphical user interface and a command-line interface. Once installed, the program places itself in your system tray, running silently in the background. The GUI interface is separated in different windows that you can access from the tray, namely the backup status window, the options window and the set up wizard, which allows you start one of the following actions: schedule a new backup, edit, remove or run a backup and restore files from a backup.
In order to configure a new backup you only need to follow few sequential steps. Firstly, your new task needs a name. Then you need to select the files and folders you want to store; I most appreciate that Duplicati displays the memory used by the selected documents. The security step follows next; in order to protect your data you need to set up a password and choose between the AES-256 and the GNU Privacy Guard encryption method. Once you are secure, feel free to select a transfer destination; you can pick a cloud service, namely Rackspace Cloud Files, or a remote server, such as FTP, SSH and Amazon S3. Then you need to configure the selected destination, which is different from a service to another, and you are done.
From the Options window you can apply several changes, such as language, notifications, password and encryption, upload and download limit, S3 options and SSH and GPG paths. You also have the possibility to pause, stop and throttle backups. The built-in scheduler enables Duplicati to save and store in a secure way all the files that were not saved since the last backup, saving at the same time storage space and bandwidth.
Pros & Cons
- GUI and CLI interface.
- Backup encryption.
- Store files in cloud or on a remote server.
- Incremental and up-to-date backup.
- We didn't find any
- Duplicati now supports more backup targets like Windows Live SkyDrive, Google Docs, and Amazon S3 compatible hosts.
- File filters have been improved. Files and folders can now be included or excluded from the backups using simple placeholders like *.jpg instead of advanced regular expressions.
- The command line now supports delete-all-but-n which will delete all but n backups in the target no matter if they are full or incremental backups. If you want to make sure that a specific number of backups is available, use this command.
- Duplicati can now run all backup jobs in a group using --run-backup-group="group\subgroup" as start parameter for the UI.
- Duplicati performance has been improved as Duplicati can now encrypt a backup package while the previous one is being uploaded. This is called "asynchronous transfer" and was optional (de-activated by default) in previous versions. It is now the default behavior.
- Many smaller changes to improve the robustness of Duplicati: Duplicati prevents the system from hibernation during a backup, backup targets are checked for existing backup files to not mix up two backups in one destination and Duplicati can now better handle interrupted transfers.
- Orbit Downloader (Download Managers)
- FreshDownload (Download Managers)
- jDownloader (Download Managers)
- Download Accelerat... (Download Managers)
- GetGo Download Man... (Download Managers)
- TweetDeck(5 stars)
- Mindjet MindManager ...(5 stars)
- Cobian Backup Boletu...(5 stars)
- My stuff Deluxe(5 stars)
- Download Accelerator...(5 stars)
Help us improve our suggestions. Recommend us similar programs.